While this Italian rice dish takes time to become creamy and velvety, it’s easy to make and very versatile. Add tofu or shrimp for protein, different vegetables and seasoning for variety, or keep it simple with parmesan cheese like we do. And no, you can’t pull it off in 30 minutes on Chopped!
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Get out a large glass measuring cup and a large frying pan.
STEP TWO – Make the Risotto
1 32-ounce container vegetable stock
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 cup chopped vegetables (onions, mushrooms, zucchini, peppers, or asparagus)
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 ½ cups uncooked rice (medium grain or Arborio)
¼ cup white wine
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
6 sprigs fresh parsley
- In the large glass measuring cup, microwave the vegetable stock for 4 minutes.
- In the large frying pan, heat the oil and butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the vegetables and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the rice, stir to distribute, and toast for 5 minutes.
- Add the white wine and stir until completely absorbed.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Add the heated stock to the pan 1 cup at a time, stir to combine, and cook until absorbed.
- Repeat this process until all the stock is used up and the risotto is fluffy and creamy.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese and season with the salt and pepper.
- Garnish with the parsley and serve hot.
Recommended Serving Size: ⅙ of recipe
Exchanges: 2 starches, 1 fat