Our family enjoys these delightfully fluffy pancakes every Saturday morning. The basic recipe can be augmented with your choice of add-ins. Our favorites include chocolate chips, bananas, blueberries, and, for a seasonal treat, pumpkin spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves).
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Get out a small glass measuring cup, a medium bowl, and a small bowl.
STEP TWO – Make the Batter
¾ cup milk
4 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- In the glass measuring cup, combine the milk and vinegar and let sour for 5 minutes.
- In the medium bowl, microwave the butter for 40 seconds.
- Whisk in the soured milk, then the eggs and vanilla.
- In the small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry to the wet ingredients and stir to incorporate.
STEP THREE – Make the Pancakes
- In a large frying pan, melt a little butter over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium and pour 2 tablespoons of batter onto the pan per pancake.
- Cook 4 pancakes at a time for 3-4 minutes until bubbly on top.
- Flip and cook for another 3-4 minutes until golden brown.
- Transfer the pancakes to a plate and tent with aluminum foil while you cook the rest.
- Serve warm with maple syrup, honey, fresh fruit, yogurt, or another topping of your choice.
Recommended Serving Size: 4 pancakes
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat*
*The Exchanges for toppings are as follows:
2 tablespoons syrup or honey: 1 starch
1 cup strawberries OR ¾ cup of mixed berries: 1 fruit
⅔ cup yogurt OR ½ cup cottage cheese: 1 dairy
½ cup ice cream: 1 starch, 1 fat